A summary of the duties of the Mayor assigned in terms of Section 56 of the Municipal Systems Act, are as follows:
- Identify the needs of the municipality and recommend to Council strategies, programmes and services to address such needs;
- Identify and develop criteria for the evaluation of strategies, programmes and services implemented to address needs of the municipality;
- Evaluate progress against key performance indicators;
- Review the performance of the municipality in terms of its: Economy, efficiency and effectiveness; Credit control and debt collection efficiency;
- Monitor the management of Administration;
- Oversee the sustainable provision of services to communities;
- Perform duties and exercises powers as delegated by Council;
- Reports annually on the involvement of communities and community organisations in the affairs of the municipality;
- Such reports must be presented at institutional political forum to ensure ownership of the reports by the Executive;
- Gives attention to the public views and report on the effect of consultation on the decisions of council.
In addition to the above, the Mayor is assigned financial responsibilities as prescribed under Chapter 7 of the MFMA, which can be summarised as follows:
- Providing general political guidance of the fiscal and financial affairs of the municipality;
- Monitoring and overseeing the exercise of financial responsibilities assigned to the Accounting Officer and Chief Financial Officer in terms of the MFMA;
- Taking all reasonable steps to ensure the municipality performs its Constitutional and statutory functions within the limits to the municipality’s approved budget;
- Submitting a report to Council, within 30 days of the end of each quarter, on the implementation of the budget and the financial state of affairs of the municipality;
- Performing any other powers and duties that me be delegated by Council;
In 1996 he joined the Emnambithi/Ladysmith Municipality as a Councillor and Deputy Mayor of Emnambithi/Ladysmith Municipality from 2004 to 2011 and in 2011 he was elected as the Mayor of Emnambithi/Ladysmith Municipality.
Cllr M.V Madlala was elected as the first Mayor of Alfred Duma Local Municipality after the 2016 Local Government Elections.
Cllr. Madlala furthered his tertiary education through the US Agency in the Westville University where he obtained his Public Private Partnership Certificate then obtained another Diploma in Traffic Personnel Management in the Pinetown College.
He further obtained his International and Vocational Training in Mauritius and furthered his knowledge with studies towards a Local Government Management Diploma in Mancosa.
He was once also appointed by MEC of Economic Development and Tourism to visit Washington D.C and India for improvement of skills.
The Mayor is currently studying towards his diploma in Municipal Finance Management through the University of Pretoria.
Cllr. Madlala once worked at Eskom and Lasher Tools.
Cllr Madlala has served as a Board Member of the Natal Joint Municipal Pension Fund /KwaZulu Natal Joint Municipal Provident Funds.
He also served as a Board Member of the Ladysmith Provincial Hospital.
He has also served as the Chancellor of the Emnambithi FET College.
Cllr Madlala has also served as Chairperson of Sport and Recreation Portfolio Committee and Chairperson of Economic Portfolio Committee while serving as the Deputy Mayor.
Currently serving as the Chairperson of Finance Portfolio Committee of Council.
Politically, he is deployed by the African National Congress to serve at Alfred Duma Local Municipality.
He is also currently a member of the Provincial Executive Committee of the ANC in KZN.
Has also served the ANC within UKhahlamba Region at various levels as a member and leader for many years.