Cllr S. Sithole was elected by Council as the Chief Whip and is a full time councillor.
The following functions are delegated by Council to the Whip of Council, in terms of national conventions on the duties and functions of the Whippery.
Cllr S. Sithole as the Whip of Council is required to:
1. Ensure the effective and efficient functioning of the Whips Committee and the Whippery system;
2. Assist with the smooth running of Council meetings by:
(a) Determining, prior to Council meetings, items on the agenda which political parties may wish to discuss and advising the Speaker accordingly;
(b) Ensuring that all political parties have nominated councillors to represent their parties and lead discussion on those areas identified by the party, and forwarding such names to the Speaker at least 12 hours before the time set for the Council meeting to commence;
(c) Allocating speaking times for each of the political parties, in line with the principles of democracy;
(d) Ensuring that Councillors adhere to the speaking times allocated to their political parties; and
(e) Assisting the Speaker to maintain order in Council by requiring Councillors to adhere to the Rules of Council regarding general conduct in meetings;
3. Ensure the allocation of Councillors to standing committees in accordance with the representation of parties in Council;
4. Ensure that Councillors observe the Code of Conduct for Councillors in any meetings, workshops or seminars approved by the Speaker; and
5. Ensure that Councillors are familiar with the Code of Conduct for Councillors and to facilitate training as and when there is such a need