036 637 2231
Welcome to the Alfred Duma Local Municipality
The Alfred Duma Local Municipality was formed after the redetermination of boundaries in terms of section 21 of the Local Government, the Municipal Demarcation Act 1998 (Act No.27 of 1998) which resulted in municipalities being disestablished and their former areas of jurisdiction merged under new municipalities to be established. The Emnambithi/Ladysmith Municipality and Indaka Local Municipality are part of the municipalities that have merged to form the new Alfred Duma Local Municipality.
Taking into account the human and financial capabilities of the municipality the council envisions that:
- The Alfred Duma Local Municipality will be one of Kwa-Zulu Natal’s most prosperous cities where all residents enjoy high quality of life.
- The vision commits the municipality to championing economic development within the key sectors that characterises Emnambithi/ Ladysmith.
- It also entrust the municipality with the responsibility of delivering services and creation of a safe and healthy environment.
- This vision is also embedded with economic, social, service delivery and social cohesion elements.
Elements of the Vision
The Alfred Duma Local Municipality’s vision encompasses the following five dimensions of development in which we strives for:
- Economic: a broad, diverse and inclusive economy that grows at least at a 3% growth rate per annum in order to create conducive conditions for employment opportunities.
- Social: Social harmony and inclusiveness, poverty alleviation and equity
- Service Delivery: An excellent service delivery for all residents
- Social Cohesion: Unity, strength and good social relations
- Environmental Sustainability and Diversity: Development that meets the needs of today without compromising the ability of the future generations to meet their own needs.
We strive for tolerance of diversity and we strive to be a resilient town that can adapt and survive all conditions imposed upon it.
The Mission Statement defines the fundamental purpose of the municipality and is as follows:
- Providing Basic Services in an affordable and sustainable manner;
- Promoting social upliftment and economic regeneration;
- Promoting a safe and healthy environment;
- Promoting public participation in the manner that supports Co-operative / Developmental Government;
- Building and entrenching Citizen Involvement.
Who is Alfred Duma?
From 1964 to 1974, Duma was a political prisoner on Robben Island, where he learnt to deal with hardship through humour, but never losing the focus of the fight against apartheid. Comrades know him for his humour that lightened up the mood in times of hopeless, dark situations. To keep a communication link with the outside world, Duma and other comrades sent letters through Nelson Mandela, who later became South Africa’s first democratically elected President.