Museums & Tourism
Our vision is to maximise the economic spin-offs and jobs created from the tourism sector by positioning our town and municipality as a premier tourism destination which is located closer to the Drakensburg Mountains, centrally in the KwaZulu Natal Province, midway between Johannesburg and Durban.
The Tourism, Arts, Culture and Museum Section drives the Municipal Local Tourism mandate by delivering on its core government functions at a local level.
- Destination planning, policymaking, development, and management
- Tourism product development, training and capacity-building
- Tourism regulation, monitoring and research
- Providing tourist infrastructure and services
- Planning, facilitating and implementing a tourism marketing strategy
- Providing tourism information; and
- Leading, supporting or influencing various programmes.
We are guided by the Tourism Development Framework and Spatial Investment Framework approved by Council to deliver on the Municipal Integrated Development Plan (IDP).
These frameworks provide goals and activities aimed at developing responsible tourism in partnership with stakeholders, other spheres of government and the private sector.