Municipal Mandate and Strategic Objective
To provide housing opportunities to qualifying beneficiaries, enabling secure tenure and quality living environments.
The purpose of the Municipal Human Settlements is to facilitate the development of sustainable and integrated human settlements.
The provision of housing is informed by national policies including Outcome 8 of the Programme of Action, which calls for the creation of sustainable human settlements and improved quality of household life, and by Chapter 8 of the National Development Plan.
This chapter emphasizes the contribution of housing projects to overcoming spatial patterns which exacerbate social inequality and economic inefficiency, the realization of constitutional housing rights, and introduces principles to create spaces that are liveable, equitable, sustainable, resilient, efficient, and support economic opportunities and social cohesion.
Services rendered include:
- Develop, administer and maintain Hostels/ Community Residential Units (CRUs)
- Address informal settlements through various housing interventions
- Undertaking of Remedial Programs (Title Deeds, Infrastructure Handover, Retrofit of Infrastructure)
- Develop new housing stock utilising the National housing subsidy
- Facilitate development of new social housing projects (rental) as well as for the affordable market